<$BlogRSDUrl$>

A Weblog monitoring coverage of environmental issues and science in the UK media. By Professor Emeritus Philip Stott. The aim is to assess whether a subject is being fairly covered by press, radio, and television. Above all, the Weblog will focus on science, but not just on poor science. It will also bring to public notice good science that is being ignored because it may be politically inconvenient.

Monday, January 17, 2005

Scientist resigns from IPCC over alleged politicization.....

'An open letter to the community from Chris Landsea' (Report from the University of Colorado at Boulder, January 17):

"Dear colleagues, After some prolonged deliberation, I have decided to withdraw from participating in the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). I am withdrawing because I have come to view the part of the IPCC to which my expertise is relevant as having become politicized. In addition, when I have raised my concerns to the IPCC leadership, their response was simply to dismiss my concerns.....

..... I personally cannot in good faith continue to contribute to a process that I view as both being motivated by pre-conceived agendas and being scientifically unsound." (Read the whole letter.)

Christopher W. Landsea is in the Hurricane Research Division, Atlantic Oceanographic & Meteorological Laboratory, NOAA. Here are Dr. Landsea's details: Home Page.

If what is reported is correct, then it is deeply worrying.

Philip, profoundly concerned in general by the current politicization of science in so many fields, but especially with respect to climate change.

[New counter, June 19, 2006, with loss of some data]


Google
WWW EnviroSpin Watch

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?