<$BlogRSDUrl$>

A Weblog monitoring coverage of environmental issues and science in the UK media. By Professor Emeritus Philip Stott. The aim is to assess whether a subject is being fairly covered by press, radio, and television. Above all, the Weblog will focus on science, but not just on poor science. It will also bring to public notice good science that is being ignored because it may be politically inconvenient.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

A brief personal comment.....

I don't like commenting on myself, believing strongly that it is the argument that matters and not the person. Philosophically, the truth value of a notion, or idea, is not determined by the speaker. Unfortunately, I know that there is a lot of (often deliberate) disinformation about me out there on the web, and I should just like to correct a couple of points, particularly for any journalists using such specious sources.

Please note that I am no longer a member of the Scientific Alliance; I have not been a member for some time now. Indeed, I must stress that I am not a member of any environmental- or science-related organisation. This is a deliberate decision to maintain my complete academic independence. I have accordingly no links with industry or with any 'Green' groups.

For the record: I have always voted Labour; I am mildly left-wing politically; I am strongly anti-tobacco; and, above all, I try to make independent comments based on the evidence. I also dislike ad hominem debate, and I personally try to use any ad hominem comment only lightly and, I hope, with some affection.

Finally, I must add that there are many statements about me out there on the web which are just plain wrong. On one web site, I am quoted as saying something about another scientist in a programme on which I did not even appear. C'est la vie!

Above all, I trust that people will respect the fact that I form my own opinions, as I see the evidence, and that I am totally independent.

If you really want to know my position on matters, then read the many essays on my more formal web site at: 'A Parliament of Things'.

Philip, thanks. Enough Stott, Ed.

[New counter, June 19, 2006, with loss of some data]


Google
WWW EnviroSpin Watch

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?